18 Apr 2023

Feeding Hong Kong launches new programme to tackle food insecurity

A local coffee shop joins the Feeding Hong Kong Community Network

Local food bank Feeding Hong Kong launched its first Community Network programme this April in celebration of Earth Day and to raise awareness about food waste and food insecurity issues in Hong Kong.

The Feeding Hong Kong Community Network has received extensive support from 14 food brands, restaurants and delivery platforms, including PizzaExpressDeliveroo and Flash Coffee, who have committed to reducing food waste and bringing a positive impact to the community. As part of the initiative, 16 collection points have been set up around the city where the public can donate their surplus food.

Aligned with Feeding Hong Kong’s core mission of collecting surplus food and redistributing it to charities, the Community Network programme assembles numerous food brands, restaurants and delivery platforms to bridge the gap between food providers and communities in need. The programme reflects the shared commitment among food brands and restaurants to cultivate the practice of reducing quality food disposal while also driving sustainable conversations throughout the community.

Hong Kong has been facing a growing food waste problem in recent years. According to the latest report by the Environmental Protection Department on municipal waste, out of the 3,400 tonnes of daily local food waste generated, 68% comes from households, and the remaining 32% from companies and restaurants. These figures shed light on Hong Kong’s current food surplus challenges. A collective change in the actions of individuals and eateries, as well as more sustainable food management practices, is the key to alleviating this issue.

“We are very grateful for our food brand partners’ generous assistance,” said Gabrielle Kirstein, the Founder of Feeding Hong Kong. “In Hong Kong, one-fifth of the locals live in poverty and are encountering food insecurity. Through this Community Network Programme, we hope to raise the public’s awareness on existing food waste issues and encourage the community to start practicing a sustainable eating lifestyle. We hope to educate the public about the importance of making small changes to day-to-day actions and how individual contribution does matter.”

To further enhance the local community’s awareness of food management, Feeding Hong Kong has launched a social media campaign this April called #CAN5CAN. The campaign challenges the public to donate five canned foods, which are still within their shelf-life, from their homes and nominate two to three peers on social media to also take part. The campaign idea echoes the theme of this year’s Earth Day, “Invest in Our Planet,” by encouraging people to start taking small steps to start living more sustainably.

Feeding Hong Kong’s Community Network programme and #CAN5CAN campaign provide an excellent opportunity for the public to get involved and make a difference in the fight against food waste and food insecurity in Hong Kong. By supporting these initiatives, individuals and companies alike can help reduce waste, support the community, and promote sustainable living.

Related News

3 Mar 2021

Sino Group supports the community with donations to 100 Hong Kong charities

Sino Group has donated HKD10 million 100 local small- and medium-sized NGOs, as well as winners of the 8th Spirit of Hong Kong Awards, in appreciation of their committed efforts to support the less-resourced and those in need in our community.


15 Jun 2020

ART Power HK extends to June 2021

ART Power HK, the not-for-profit campaign and digital Platform that unites the Hong Kong arts community, has announced its extension to June 2021. The extension will allow for continued collaboration within the local arts community and committing ongoing support and amplification for the ongoing initiatives of Hong Kong arts organisations. Launched three months ago on […]

13 Aug 2020

Mind Hong Kong launches new mental health initiatives in response to COVID-19  

To support those most in need and affected by COVID-19, Mind HK has launched additional mental health initiatives with the support of Goldman Sachs Gives.

Let's stay in touch Let's Stay in touchLet's Stay in touch